1849 – Melodeon Factory established in East Poultney
In the spring of 1849, the firm of Ross & West established a Melodeon Factory in East Poultney. Paul M. Ross and Elijah West chose for their new business a brick building formerly used as a blacksmith’s shop. At first they produced only the casework and bellows, having purchased the reed and keyboard actions from Carhart & Needham of New York. They were so successful that soon orders outpaced production.