The Poultney Historical Society, a not-for-profit 501(c)(3) organization founded in 1935, preserves and interprets the history of the Town of Poultney. An all-volunteer association supported through memberships and contributions from community members and visitors, the Society owns three historic buildings on-the-green in East Poultney, the Victorian Schoolhouse (1896), the Melodeon Factory (1854), and the Union Academy (1791).
These museums house collections of a broad range of records and artifacts accumulated over the years, including genealogical, church and cemetery records and objects from many periods including costumes, military memorabilia, restored melodeons, furniture, photographs, glass plate negatives, books, ironworks, farm tools and household items.
Volunteer docents open the museums to the public on Sundays from 1:00 to 4:00 PM from Memorial Day through Labor Day and by appointment.
The Melodeon Factory is currently closed due to structural problems, which require substantial repairs and restoration. The Historical Society has launched a capital campaign to raise the necessary funds through a ballot initiative, private donations, and state and federal grants. It is anticipated that restoration work will be completed by the spring of 2008.
Currently, there is a glass plate negative exhibit in the Union Academy, Poultney Under Glass: Photographs of Village Life, 1890-1910, which also served as the Historical Society’s exhibit at History Expo 2006 in Tunbridge, VT. Genealogy research and assistance is available from Historical Society volunteers and on this web site.
Comments are closed.